Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealers reported a 21 percent increase in retail sales in August, its second consecutive increase in monthly sales.
Overall, total sales, including fleet customer deliveries, were 176,323, up 17 percent versus last year. Ford has gained retail market share in 10 of the last 11 months, according to a company statement.
“We have the freshest lineup of new products in the industry,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Ford’s leadership in quality, fuel-efficiency, safety and technology all are resonating with consumers, and it is being reflected in our sales results.”
Early signs of economic recovery are suggested by this month’s sales results for Ford’s pickup trucks and the all-new Transit Connect van. Sales of the Ford F-Series – America’s best-selling truck – were 45,590, up 13 percent. Sales of the Ford Ranger – the most-fuel-efficient pickup in America – were 7,746, up 57 percent. Sales for each truck were the highest in more than a year, and it was the first sales increase for F-Series since October 2006.
The Transit Connect, a small, fuel-efficient purpose-built van, is the first ONE FORD global vehicle to be sold in the United States. August sales for the Transit Connect were 2,220 versus 417 in July, and sales were 70 percent higher than the company’s goal for the month.
“We’re very pleased with the balanced performance of our products – from Focus to F-Series,” said Czubay. “We are hopeful that the sales of our pickups and all-new Transit Connect are an indication that small business owners are seeing signs of recovery and gaining confidence in the outlook for stronger business conditions.”
Other August sales highlights, according to the company:
– Ford Focus sales totaled 25,547, an August record and up 56 percent versus a year ago. The Focus is among the most fuel-efficient compact cars in America with an EPA highway rating of 35 mpg.
– Ford Fusion sales totaled 21,010, a sales record for any month and up 132 percent versus a year ago. Mercury Milan sales were 3,844, up 112 percent. The Fusion and Milan and their hybrid versions are the most fuel-efficient mid-size sedans in America.
– Ford Escape sales totaled 20,933, a sales record for August, and up 49 percent versus a year ago. Mercury Mariner sales were 3,921 (also a record for August), up 50 percent. The Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid are the most fuel-efficient utility vehicles in America.
– Ford Edge sales totaled 10,845, an August sales record and up 9 percent versus a year ago.
– Ford Flex sales totaled 4,151, an August sales record and up 107 percent versus a year ago. The Flex is among the most fuel-efficient full-size crossover utilities in America.
– Total Ford, Lincoln and Mercury crossover utility vehicle sales were 42,241, an August sales record and up 28 percent versus a year ago.
– Ford’s hybrid vehicles – Fusion, Milan, Escape and Mariner – posted combined sales of 4,695, an August sales record and up 251 percent versus a year ago. At 41 miles per gallon, the Fusion Hybrid is the most fuel-efficient mid-size sedan in America – 8 mpg better than the Toyota Camry Hybrid.