City/State Moving Regulations Change

Oklahomans looking to hire a household moving company and those offering moving services in the state should carefully note changes in the law that give the consumer more information and protection, and require companies to get the necessary authority for the protection of both the company and its customers according to a news release today from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission.  

“The Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC) regulates all intrastate transportation of household goods,” explains OCC Transportation Division Director Marchi McCartney. “We want to be sure all consumers and the moving companies themselves are aware that state law has new requirements aimed at consumer protection.”

Among the items of note in the new regulations:

•   All household goods movers must provide the consumer with a written estimate
•   All household goods movers must provide the consumer with the Commission’s “Moving in Oklahoma” brochure
•   All advertising must include the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number of the company
•   Intra-city moves are now included in the regulations
•   All household goods movers must get a certificate from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission

Household goods movers who need to obtain a certificate or need more information can call (405) 521-2251 or contact the OCC’s Transportation Division through the web site:  

A listing of all authorized household goods movers in Oklahoma is also available through the through the OCC web site:, and clicking on “Household goods movers” link under “Hot Topics.”

If you believe a carrier is operating unlawfully or is advertising services it is not authorized to perform, please contact the Transportation Division at (405) 521-2965 or file a complaint at and clicking on the “Complaint” tab.