The State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said late Saturday, “We continue to closely follow disturbing reports on April 7 regarding another alleged chemical weapons attack, this time targeting a hospital in Douma, Syria.
“Reports from a number of contacts and medical personnel on the ground indicate a potentially high number of casualties, including among families hiding in shelters. These reports, if confirmed, are horrifying and demand an immediate response by the international community.
“The United States continues to use all efforts available to hold those who use chemical weapons, in Syria and otherwise, accountable. The regime’s history of using chemical weapons against its own people is not in dispute, and in fact nearly one year ago on April 4, 2017, Assad’s forces conducted a sarin gas attack on Khan Sheikhoun, which killed approximately 100 Syrians,” the Department statement continued.
“The Assad regime and its backers must be held accountable and any further attacks prevented immediately. Russia, with its unwavering support for the regime, ultimately bears responsibility for these brutal attacks, targeting of countless civilians, and the suffocation of Syria’s most vulnerable communities with chemical weapons.
“By shielding its ally Syria, Russia has breached its commitments to the United Nations as a framework guarantor. It has betrayed the Chemical Weapons Convention and UN Security Council Resolution 2118. Russia’s protection of the Assad regime and failure to stop the use of chemical weapons in Syria calls into question its commitment to resolving the overall crisis and to larger non-proliferation priorities.
“The United States calls on Russia to end this unmitigated support immediately and work with the international community to prevent further, barbaric chemical weapons attacks,” spokesperson Nauert concluded.
Fox News reports that medics and activists are claiming over 40 people have died and over 500 sickened including scores of children writing, “The alleged attack in Douma, about 10 miles east of Damascus, occurred amid a resumed offensive by Syrian government forces after the collapse of a truce.
“In all, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 80 people were killed in Douma on Saturday, including around 40 who died from suffocation. In some cases, entire families were found suffocated in their houses and shelters, according to opposition-linked first responders known as the White Helmets.” Click here for more from Fox News.
“The Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) said 41 people had been killed, but other reports put the death toll much higher, Reuters reported.
“At least 70 people were killed in the strike, with more than 500 civilians injured, the Union of Medical Care and Relief Organisations (UOSSM) told Sky News.
“There has been no independent verification of the claims – sky News added – which have been denied by the Syrian government – but the US has said that if they prove accurate they demand an “immediate response by the international community.”
A former IDF Intel Chief, Amos Yadlin, said Syrian President Bashar Assad’s helicopters that drop barrel bombs should be grounded once and for all.
“Even without poison gas, these vehicles are used to launch inaccurate explosives that inflict terror and death on Syrian civilians,” said Amos Yadlin in a series of tweets.
Click here for more from JPost.com.